An important practice for your website is the use of photographs to visualize, advertise and, in general, enhance your content and blogs. But the drawbacks of using so many images on your posts and pages must be understood to users. For one, it decreases your server’s free space. Ideally, you want to save your photos on the server of your own website so that, whenever needed, you can save and remove the photos. Compared to using third-party picture gallery websites, this also increases the loading speed.
It can also increase loading time for the website by getting so many photos on a single post and page, since this implies that the client pc must load larger files to access the post. This can discourage a more anxious crowd because, without even taking a look, you just don’t want viewers to leave your website. Have you? Clearly not! Thus, in this post, to make the optimization task fuss-free, we have listed the best free WordPress image optimizers.
Image optimization and compression
Today, we are presenting a more beginner-friendly and simpler approach to image optimization, instead of addressing different tips and methods to compact the size of images as in our previous article.
In order to reduce the size of your files, by compressing the image without causing a drastic drop in image quality, we can optimize the files. We can do them, from image resizing to deleting image content, changing image extensions. But instead of manually performing these actions, we can leave them all in the hands of some awesome and important plugins for WordPress.
Therefore, we use third-party plugins that excel by using different compression and compilation techniques to compress your files, which we will not dig further into here.
So without hesitation, let ‘s look at the best choices available on the WordPress market for WordPress Image optimizer plugins.
Optimole is a free WordPress plugin that makes your website lightweight by reducing the size of your images without modifying them visually (the images will look exactly the same, just smaller will be their size). Optimole, in other words, resizes, compresses, and serves your images at any location via CDN. Via lossless and lossy optimization techniques, the images are processed.
In addition, Optimole operates on autopilot, which ensures that it will do its job all alone once it is installed-you don’t need to do extra work. However, through a modern and user-friendly gui, you can track and control its operation.
Optimole also has three premium plans that have even more bandwidth, disk space, CDN locations, priority service, and personalized CNAME for viewing.
- Images are served via CDN, covering up to 110 server locations worldwide.
- 1GB of images per month in the free plan and 15+GB if you upgrade.
- 10GB viewing bandwidth per month in the free plan and over 100GB in the premium plans.
- Automatic optimization.
- Retina and HiDPI support with dynamic DPR detection on all the devices.
- Easy tracking and monitoring of the stats/results via a modern dashboard.
- Lossless and lossy optimization methods covering all the devices.
Smush Image compression and Optimization
One of the most common premium plugins created to compress and optimize images is Smush. This award-winning WordPress image optimizer takes pride in its ability to automatically compress images with minimal loss of quality on your server. In addition, the optimization of the picture is not performed on your servers, which also drops the load on your website.
The plugin scans all images on your website and tracks potential uploads and removes unneeded data from the images quickly, compresses them and, if necessary, also resizes them. Smush is also capable of compressing images specified in a given folder and is also fully compatible with NextGen Gallery, WPML, WP Retina 2x and many other plugins related to premium images.
- Lossless image compression for optimizing image sizes with no slowdown.
- Compatible with JPEG, GIF and PNG image files.
- Lets you set maximum width/height for images and images larger than the parameters will be automatically rescaled.
- Automatic optimization on image upload.
- Allows image optimization on the entire network, easily compress images on multiple websites with global and individual settings.
EWWW Image Optimizer
EWWW Image optimizer helps you improve your website’s reception and popularity using the power of image compression. This lossless WordPress image optimizer allows you to compress your images on the best compression ratio for JPG, PNG, GIF and PDF files. The correct compression is automatically selected based on the file format as well. The plugin is also completely free and while a paid service exists(exclusive for API use only), it is completely optional. The plugin also comes with complete SSL protection for your files.
Moreover, you can also choose between image optimization to be done on your server or a specialized server. Besides, you can bulk optimize images, from a large number of images to entire folders. Furthermore, already optimized images can be skipped as well.EWWW image optimizer is also fully compatible with WP Image editor, WEBP images, WP-CLI, NextGenGallery and many other plugins for images
- Unlimited file size for compression, no speed limits, background optimization
- Free image backups save your original images for 30 days.
- Automatic image resizing with basic retina support and automatic lossless compression.
- Compress images from plugins as well, BuddyPress avatars and images, Meta slider slides, GD bbPress attachments, and user-specified folders.
- CDN support for uploading to cloud servers.
ShortPixel Image optimizer
This GDPR ready plugin, another top of the line image optimizer, is a lightweight plugin that prominently features the automation principle. Download and forget to think about image sizes, as the plugin compresses and resizes older images automatically when searching for newer ones. ShortPixel Image Optimizer requires minimal resources to lower the burden on your web servers and works well on a shared cloud network, VPS or dedicated web hosting. You can also optimize your media library images or any images that are sent via FTP.
You can easily optimize images using both lossless and lossy compression as well as a glossy JPG compression made for photographers for high-quality lossy optimization. Bulk optimization is also freely available for all users with restore feature, in case the compression is not to your liking. Furthermore, you can easily test the optimization parameters and the quality of your images with a single click. Shortpixel image optimizer also provides you with a 40-day optimization report with image details and more.
- Provides High-quality Lossy compression for optimization of high-quality images.
- PNG to JPG auto-conversion feature.
- Compatible with Webps, WP retina 2x, various image galleries, WooCommerce and WooCommerce plugins.
- Multisite integration features with a single API key.
- Compatible with watermarks and watermark plugins.
Compress JPG & PNG Images
Compress JPG and PNG is a plugin for WordPress created by the developers behind Tinypng, a free compression tool for online images. In combination with the online tool, the plugin works to compress your photos externally, thereby optimizing your photos and gallery while having no impact on the overall speed of your web. As well as bulk optimization for compressing older files, the plugin enables automatic image optimization for your newer uploads.
A good point about this plugin is that it maintains metadata, development dates, copyright information, and GPS location to ensure that all photos posted to your website can be completely credited. Using the Dashboard Widget that the plugin offers to conveniently track your image compression data and statistics. In addition, the plugin is often made for optimizing color profiles as well. In order to save space and optimize compatibility, the plugin converts images to regular RGB color profiles.
Compress JPG & PNG images features:
- No file size limits for image optimization.
- Copyright metadata, creation date, and GPS location are preserved after conversion.
- Supports animated PNG and GIF formats.
- Supports Multisite optimization through a single API key.
- Provides a dashboard widget to monitor usage and compression statistics.
Thus using these plugins any WordPress user, regardless of their image editing skill can easily compress their images and thus improve their website performance. These plugins are free with some restrictions regarding free usages but also come with a paid model with significant advantages as well.